Montag, 2. August 2010

Discrimination Against Transgendered People

Erin Vaught was refused treatment, ridiculed, and dehumanized at the Ball Memorial Hospital in Muncie, Indiana because she is transgender, the AP reports:
"Vaught said when she, her wife and son went to the ER on July 18, she was entered into the hospital computer system as male despite an ID that stated she was female. 'I pointed out that my ID says female,' Vaught said. 'There were two ladies there, and one of them snickered a little bit and covered her mouth. The other got a very annoyed look on her face.' When she went to the exa- room, 3he was met with stares and insults and was referred to as a 'he-she,' an 'it,' and a 'transvestite.' Vaught said she was kept waiting for two hours without any treatment before a doctor saw her and said she couldn't treat her because of her transgender condition. 'I was confused,' Vaught said. 'I told them I didn't know my condition, that's why I was there. She said 'No, the transvestite thing.' She said I couldn't see a doctor until I came back with test orders from my doctor in Indy.' Benge said such reactions are not uncommon. But Vaught and her supporters wrote about her experience on the hospital's Facebook page, attracting the attention of advocacy groups including the Indiana Transgender Rights Advocacy Alliance and Indiana Equality."

The transgender community is still in dire need of support and acceptance from the public.

Keine Kommentare: